Thursday, October 18, 2012

Exclusive Interview with our Head Prefects of 2013


 
Reshonda Lodewyk and Shane-Dean Bennett

Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Today during break I had the opportunity to get to know our Head Prefects a little bit better. That gave me an idea to interview them later in the form of a questionnaire. These are some of the facts that came out of our interaction.
Both reacted the same on the question if they think they are kind hearted or strict leaders: Reshonda said: "I am a kindhearted person, but I stand for order, protocol and discipline."
I have asked them what they will do if they see a friend break a school rule: Shane-Dean said: "Even if they are my friends, I have a duty as Head Boy to ensure that I respect the school's Code of Conduct."
 Now for the ultimate killer question:  Are you afraid that you might become unpopular in the near future?  Reshonda:  "No, I have a responsibility towards the school, I am not here to please learners, but I'm here to do what is expected of me." Shane-Dean:  "I am not afraid that I might become unpopular, being Head Boy of Goodwood College is not about being popular!"
Their take on Terrain Duty: Both agree upon the necessity of doing such duty. "It is a great way of meeting everyone and also a big responsibility of witnessing what learners are up to during breaks." They are also very aware that it will take some time to persuade the other prefects to respect their views on this very important function.
Five areas of discipline they would like to focus on in 2013: Reshonda: "The use of illegal substances, school dress code, littering on school grounds, disruptiveness in the lines and in classes, disrespectful learners."  Shane-Dean: "Neatness, Honesty, Punctuality, Respect to Staff, Abstain from illegal substances on the terrain." During our walk on the school terrain we had to write down the names of 4 boys who were illegally purchasing foodstuff from a house shop on the side of the school where learners are not supposed to be. They were obviously levelled! (I am glad to say they were caught 'red handed' and they apologised profusely. They know we will be back...) lol
Thank you Head Prefects. You make us proud in the humble way you think, react and plan.
Next article - meeting the entire Prefect Body!